Art Prints

Friday, August 21, 2009

"Geometric Free Flowing Canvas"

Geometric Free Flowing Canvas 30" x 26"
I'm very excited about this piece as I was trying something that I haven't done in the past.
I started this artwork with a piece of raw canvas and applied Venetian Red gesso instead of white gesso to prime the canvas getting it ready for paint. I wanted to make the geometric pieces opaque so one could see the underlying and overlapping piece, but had never attempted it. After laying down the first coat and obtaining the shapes, I glazed the canvas and went about painting with a knife and brush on top of the glaze. I glazed the painting once more and used my knife and brush to paint on top of the new glaze until I felt the piece was done.
Unfortunately the camera did not capture the depth and dimension the multiple layers of glaze and paint accomplished, and you can barely tell that there is metallic silver in the painting. I am very happy with the final outcome and will repeat this procedure in my future artwork.
Attempting something new, be it art or a sport or a new study, is very daunting to me and I would guess to others as well. We get so comfortable with doing the same things in our lives that it is very easy to get into a rut. Trying new things and reaching out of our comfort zones can bring amazing results as well as much joy and pride. So go on, do whatever it is that you have been contemplating trying. There is absolutely nothing to lose!
Please visit my website and take a leisurely tour through my virtual galleries. I just added "Free Flowing Canvas Gallery" which has several pieces that give you 100% control as to how you display the art. I have the piece above tacked to the wall as a fabric painting and it looks really cool.
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss
Have a great weekend...and to something out of your ordinary!
Amy Tuso ~ Painter of Extraordinary Images